By Chris Rossini
One of the most successful political myths in America may finally be hitting a wall. The myth is that the Republican Party stands for small and limited government, as compared to the Democrats, who just spend and bury the nation in debt.
The truth is that both parties stand for growing the government as much as they possibly can. This truth has been hiding behind a thick smoke screen erected by members on both sides.
Republicans (yet again) are campaigning as the "good cop". Just trust them, elect them, and they'll shrink the government monster this time. Obama has gone off the deep end, and you need a good Republican to reign it all in.
Of course, it's all a lie.
On the Democratic side, the myth is perpetuated by the likes of Paul Krugman, who writes today:
But Ronald Reagan insisted that government is always the problem, never the solution, and this has become dogma on the right.
This is how the myth continues to maintain its strength. Both sides perpetuate it and treat it as truth. Let's look at the numbers, shall we?
Here is a chart that displays the spending habits of the Presidents. The so-called "limited government" Presidents are in red:
Looks like a one-way street, doesn't it?
What about the debt? Again, the "good guys" are in red:
Republicans and Democrats have pulled it off! People all over the country are fighting over why we need a Republican, or why we need a Democrat, and yet the truth is very clear....It doesn't matter! Both parties are taking everyone to the cleaners!
As government grows (and we see that it only grows) it means that our liberties are steadily being taken away. You can't have it both ways. You can't have the biggest government in the history of mankind, and remain free. It has to be one or the other. Government and Liberty are mutually exclusive.
The great two party myth may be hitting a snag though. A new Fox News poll was released showing that 60% of Republicans feel betrayed by the party. One must wonder what the other 40% are thinking...
Should enough people see through the fog though, you can expect a ramping up of the propaganda. Republicans will really bring the sweet talk, and Democrats will continue to re-enforce it.
Don't fall for it. It's just a fairy tale.